The Media General internship program is designed to augment the educational development of those studying for careers in broadcasting. This is accomplished by creating opportunities for students enrolled in institutions of higher learning to gain experience in the station’s day-to-day operations. Internships are available in news, sports, weather, production, digital and marketing departments.
Interns will gain knowledge and skills pertaining to their specific assignments.
- Participants will not accrue any benefits or salary and it is required that students receive college credit for internship participation (no exceptions).
- WSLS offers spring, summer and fall semester internships.
- Ordinarily, the duration of participation by any one student shall not exceed one semester or other single segment of a school term or related course.
- Interns should spend time working in all phases of the news department. (Producing, Reporting, Photography/Editing, Assignment Desk/Planning and Anchoring).
- Interns shall not serve for more than 8 hours a day or 40 hours per week.
- The appointed coordinator in each department will provide such reasonable reports and evaluations on the intern’s education as the intern may require for course credit. Copies of completed applications and all performance evaluations will be sent to the human resources coordinator for approval and kept on file.
- The department coordinator will provide a specific description of the curriculum.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be enrolled in an accredited college or university.
- Be eligible to earn course credits for the internship.
- Submit an application signed by their adviser stating the number of applicable credit hours prior to the start of the internship.
- Download and fill out the Internship Application.
- Email both completed documents – plus a resume and writing sample – to firstname.lastname@example.org