Cancer-causing radon gas closes Portland school cafeteria

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — Officials say a Portland high school cafeteria has been closed after dangerous levels of cancer-causing radon gas were found in a second round of tests.

The Oregonian/OregonLive reports (http://goo.gl/pYGN60 ) test results were emailed to the Portland School District on Tuesday and announced Friday.

The high levels of radon were found at Alliance High School, an alternative school serving about 200 students with a focus on professional-technical skills.

Earlier this month, district officials said roughly 800 rooms in 26 buildings were tested for radon, and nine rooms in six schools exceeded an Environmental Protection Agency threshold that requires immediate follow up testing.

Radon is an odorless and invisible gas that can cause lung cancer.

___

Information from: The Oregonian/OregonLive, http://www.oregonlive.com

MEDIA GENERAL may allow you to upload, post, transmit or otherwise provide content to MEDIA GENERAL Web sites, including, but not limited to, photos, video, audio, comments, articles, blogs, forums and any other such communication in which you provide content to the Web site ("User Content"). You agree that you are solely responsible for your communications and any content you provide. Read full terms and conditions of use by clicking here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s