ROANOKE (WSLS 10) – Staff at Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital were evacuated Monday morning due to a fuel leak. Carilion Spokesperson Chris Turnbull says a fitting broke around 7:45 a.m. Monday and they were working to clean it up. Turnbull says they were given the all clear at 9:16 a.m. and everyone returned inside. Patients and their caregivers on the two patient floors were not evacuated because Turnbull says they were safe behind fire barrier doors.
News release from Carilion:
The safety of our employees and patients is our number one priority.
Early this morning there was a diesel fuel leak in the boiler room at Carilion Roanoke Community Hospital. The fuel has been cleaned up and repairs are underway.
As a precaution, employees were evacuated to the Community Medical Office Building on campus and to city buses parked on Elm Avenue next to the hospital. Thanks to the City of Roanoke for providing these to help keep our employees warm.
After evaluating the situation, authorities determined it was safer for patients at CRCH to remain in place. Contingency plans are in place should the patients need to be moved for their own safety.
As of 9:15 a.m., the all clear was sent, and employees are starting to return to the building.