AMHERST COUNTY (WSLS 10) – The wildfire in Amherst County covers 11,000 acres.
Authorities say 13 engines, three helicopters, and more than 250 members of personnel have been assigned to containment efforts, resulting in a 45-percent containment.
There will be a public meeting on Friday at 7 p.m., at Pedlar Fire Hall in Amherst.
The Virginia Department Forestry urge you to sse caution and be aware of the following closures.
- North Fork Road (SR 635) closed at Panther Mountain (FR #1286)
- Thrasher’s Creek Road (SR 617) is closed at Molly’s Mountain due to firefighting activities. Local traffic will be permitted
- The Mount Pleasant National Scenic Area is temporarily closed due to fire activities. All roads and trails within the Scenic Area are temporarily closed including Wiggins Spring Road/Hog Camp Gap
- Road (FR #48) is closed from the junction at State Route 634 (Coffeytown Road) through to Salt Log Gap
- Coon Bridge Road (FR #1167)
- Cow Camp Road (FR #520)
- Fletcher Mountain Road (FR #507)
- Appalachian National Scenic Trail (FT #1) from Long Mountain Wayside to Salt Log Gap
- Old Hotel Trail (FT #515)
- Henry Lanum Trail (FT #702)
- Mt. Pleasant Trail (FT #704)