DANVILLE (WSLS 10) – Danville fire crews battled a house fire on Tuesday afternoon.
At 3:51 p.m., crews responded to a fire in the 200 block of Melrose Drive and found light smoke coming from the back of a medium-sized two-story house.
No one was in the building at the time fire personnel arrived.
Crews found fire coming from a window on the rear of the house.
When they entered, they found a fire on the stove extending up into the cabinets. A ventilation fan was set up and an interior search of the structure found no one inside.
The fire was quickly extinguished and determined to be under control by 3:58 p.m. The kitchen sustained moderate fire, smoke and water damage, with the rest of the house receiving minor smoke and water damage.
The Danville Fire Department responded with three engines, a ladder truck, a command unit, one support unit and one fire marshal. The Danville Life Saving Crew, Danville Police Department, Danville Water and Gas Department and Danville Electric Department assisted on scene.
The cause of the fire was investigated by the fire marshals’ office and determined to be unattended cooking.
Sixteen fire personnel were on the scene for an hour and 28 minutes. There were no injuries reported.