BLACKSBURG (WSLS 10) – Virginia Tech researchers believe Samsung tried to push the limits and got burned.
Samsung had to recall more than 2.5 million Galaxy phones after reports that some were catching on fire.
Chemistry professor Louis Madsen said these batteries are made of flammable materials and that the company is trying to get them to hold more of a charge than they can safely hold.
Madsen also said he does not believe consumers should be worried about purchasing their next phone.
“Obviously, there have been millions and millions of these batteries made over the years that don’t burn,” said Madsen. “What Samsung has done is they are trying to push the limit of how much charge they can store in a very small space, and when you push the limits, there are always trade-offs with everything.”
Several Virginia Tech professors are now working to build a battery with all new materials. They said hopefully this could one day hold up to three to four times as much charge as current technology.