ROANOKE (WSLS 10) – Residents who had to evacuate Sunday afternoon due to a gas leak are back home tonight.
Earlier today, emergency crews evacuated the area after a tank leaked fuel at the Pure Gas Station in the 2300 Block of Grandin Road.
They said crews were digging to find out exactly where the leak spilled.
As a precaution, workers from the American Electric Power Company turned off the electricity to prevent sparks or flames.
Some people who live nearby were evacuated and a shelter has been setup at Patrick Henry High School.
“It’s a gas station who knows I didn’t know of a smell last night that i noticed, I’m just hoping to get my power back it’ll come back on when it gets on I assume they have it off for safety purposes, John Koger, a resident said.