Man in critical condition, eight hurt, tear gas deployed in second night of Charlotte police shooting

9-21-charlotte-protests

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (WNCN) — One man is in critical condition after being shot as more violence and looting broke out at Wednesday night protests against the police shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, officials told CBS North Carolina.

The Charlotte Police Chief on Wednesday night announced that a shooting victim died, but hours later the city said the person was in critical condition on life support.

City officials said the shooting was not due to a police officer and instead was a civilian who shot another civilian.

A photo from WSOC-TV showed the shooting victim moments after being shot — still standing, but leaning over, near the Omni Hotel.

CBS News reported that EMS had to use an armored vehicle to retrieve the shooting victim.

Around 10:35 p.m., protesters were near Trade and Caldwell streets and were trying to break windows at the Hyatt hotel when the third round of tear gas was deployed.

Protesters moved downtown from Trade Street to the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department and tear gas was used for the second time during the evening around 9:45 p.m.

A CNN reporter was tackled while giving a live report on TV. The Hornets’ team store at the downtown arena was looted after several windows were broken, according to photos and info from WCNC-TV.

EMS officials said they had taken eight patients — seven law-enforcement officers and one civilian — to area hospitals during second night of protests over the police shooting of a black man.

Protesters rushed police in riot gear at a downtown Charlotte hotel and around 8:30 p.m., officers fired tear gas to disperse the crowd.

Officers on bicycles surrounded a pool of blood on the ground and a few people threw bottles and clods of dirt at police.

Late Wednesday, N.C. Governor Pat McCrory announced that N.C. State Highway Patrol would be deployed to Charlotte after a request from police there. Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts said a team from Department of Justice will be on the ground in Charlotte Thursday.

Hundreds were expected throughout the evening as Charlotte-Mecklenburg police prepared for another long night.

Earlier in the day, Keith Lamont Scott’s wife, Rakeiya Scott, released a statement asking for protesters to remain calm.

— The Associated Press and WBTV contributed to this report

MEDIA GENERAL may allow you to upload, post, transmit or otherwise provide content to MEDIA GENERAL Web sites, including, but not limited to, photos, video, audio, comments, articles, blogs, forums and any other such communication in which you provide content to the Web site ("User Content"). You agree that you are solely responsible for your communications and any content you provide. Read full terms and conditions of use by clicking here.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s