NASCAR panel upholds RCR penalties

Denny Hamlin, Martin Truex Jr.

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) – A NASCAR appeals panel has upheld the penalties for two Richard Childress Racing Nationwide crew members who were also criminally charged for fighting with Nelson Piquet Jr. at Richmond last month.

Crew members Thomas Costello and Michael Scearce of driver Brian Scott’s team were both suspended for four Nationwide Series races and fined $15,000 each. The suspensions begin next week at Dover. The two will be able to return in late June at Kentucky.

RCR chief operating officer Torrey Galida said Friday he was unsure if his organization would appeal the ruling by the three-person panel. He said RCR appealed because it thought the NASCAR penalties were excessive.

Henrico County police have also charged Scearce with two counts of misdemeanor assault. Costello received one count of misdemeanor assault.

MEDIA GENERAL may allow you to upload, post, transmit or otherwise provide content to MEDIA GENERAL Web sites, including, but not limited to, photos, video, audio, comments, articles, blogs, forums and any other such communication in which you provide content to the Web site ("User Content"). You agree that you are solely responsible for your communications and any content you provide. Read full terms and conditions of use by clicking here.

blog comments powered by Disqus